USB external hard drives drives Problem !?  The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Hello,I am using an external HDD for backups on my WIN 2008 server. Recently I applied monthly updates and this caused my ext hdd to stop working. It doesnt show up in My Computer and in Device Manager is showing with a yellow triangle and this the error message that I have : Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.I tried also other usb drives and all of them are giving the same problem. Any idea on how to fix this ?Thnaks,Daniel
February 1st, 2010 1:31pm

Hello Daniel, If your USB external drives could work properly before installing updates, I am afraid that one of the updates is incompatible with these USB external drives. Please open Control Panel\Windows Update and click View update history to lookup the updates you installed recently. You can remove them one at a time according to their installation time to check the issue. If the issue disappears, we can infer the update you uninstalled just now is probably the culprit. I suggest reinstalling other updates except this one. Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2010 10:16pm

Hello Tim,I tried removing all updates and its doing the same thing. I also noticed this error when I restart the server :Log Name: SystemSource: Service Control ManagerDate: 2/2/2010 9:44:54 AMEvent ID: 7026Task Category: NoneLevel: ErrorKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: server.domainDescription:The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: AACmgtThanks,Daniel
February 2nd, 2010 9:44am

Hello, You can refer to the following article: Event ID 7026 — Basic Service Control Manager Operations http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756390(WS.10).aspx Please also try the following steps: 1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. 2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow If the issue persists, please let me know if AACmgt.sys or AACmgt.inf cannot be loaded.Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
February 3rd, 2010 12:42am

Hi Daniel,Thank you for letting me how you resolved this issue.Tim Quan - MSFT
February 3rd, 2010 10:02pm

I am having the SAME EXACT issue: Readers, I am having a proving to be very difficult issue and getting virtually no viable support from MS so I come to you guys for help. Let me start with specs then I will get into my issue. WIN7 64 Pro 12GB Crucial Balistiks DDR 1600 c:\ 300GB WD Raptor 5 1TB WD Caviar Blacks ATI Radeon 4870 Dark Knight Creative Sound Blaster Fataility Asus P6X58D-E Intel i7 930 Corsair 950 PSU Obsidian 800D with 5 Hot swapable sata drive bays *************************************************************** ISSUE: After a MS update I noticed that one of my SATA drives dropped off as if it went bad, the indication for this was that it became inaccesable. I connected the drive via USB and still could not get into the drive. I connected it to my XP OS and presto it was back and fine. When I rebooted I noticed another drive formed a yellow BANG<!> sign, then another and another until all my drives besides the drive that contained my OS droped off. After pulling my hair out for hours I was able to determin that without a doubt it was not my hardware as everything worked on my XP OS. I rebooted into WIN764 and I downloaded all the service packs and all available updates. After getting the updates and rebooting all my SATA drivesshowed back up which was an improvement but I was still not able to access my flash drives even though the DEVMAN could see them just fine. I could not and still cannot access any external drives, air card or phone that contains a SD card or mass storage. The operating system sees all on the machine but in the device manager it has the following error message. "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)" So, I have done everything I can think of and have spent at least 11 hours with MS teir 1 tech support and they cant fix it either. We have been down every road I can think of. I will not do a system restore as it will take me back to April and I do not want to reformat. I want to pin point this issue and resolve it, not sweep it under the rug. Also, another interesting fact to this issue is: I have 5 hot swapable bays on my rig, all is well until I pull one out. When I pull one out and then scan for new hardware it removes it from the list in DEVMAN and when I put it back in and re-scan it sees it just fine but give the old ERROR 32 again and what was once an accesable drive now becomes inaccesable. It takes a reboot to get them back. Here are a few errors I found in my event log: The driver \Driver\snapman failed to load for the device STORAGE\Volume\{9a59136f-04dc-11e0-959f-806e6f6e6963}#0000000000007E00. The driver \Driver\snapman failed to load for the device STORAGE\Volume\{02d5794b-04f2-11e0-92fe-806e6f6e6963}#0000000006500000. The driver \Driver\snapman failed to load for the device STORAGE\Volume\{9a331575-9085-11e0-96bc-806e6f6e6963}#000000AA606B0800. The driver \Driver\snapman failed to load for the device STORAGE\Volume\{02d5794b-04f2-11e0-92fe-806e6f6e6963}#0000000000100000. The driver \Driver\snapman failed to load for the device SCSI\Disk&Ven_WDC_WD64&Prod_00AAKS-00A7B0&Rev_01.0\5&22bede4e&0&000000. The driver \Driver\snapman failed to load for the device IDE\DiskWDC_WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0___________________05.01D05\5&5c6cfd6&0&1.1.0. The driver \Driver\snapman failed to load for the device IDE\DiskWDC_WD1001FALS-40U9B0___________________20.04F20\5&2ea7e938&0&0.1.0. The driver \Driver\snapman failed to load for the device IDE\DiskWDC_WD3000HLFS-01G6U4___________________04.04V06\5&2ea7e938&0&0.0.0. I did what the OP said and it did not fix my problem. HELP!
July 22nd, 2011 11:39pm

Daniel - thank you so much! This literally saved me this morning. My issue was caused from installing IBM Serveraid onto the server in hopes to deal with an array that was almost full. Serverraid knocked my Netapp LUNS offline after reboot. The only fix (after two hours on the phone with Netapp) came when I removed AACmgt from that registry entry. Steve
June 14th, 2012 1:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics